- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 medium pears (peeled, cored and quartered)
- 1 cup butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1/3 small parsnip (peeled)
- 1 white, sweet onion (peeled, chopped)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (regular or vegan)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Pecan Pie granola
- 8-10 Pecans
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and parsnip, stir and season with salt. Cook until lightly browned and caramelized around the edges, stirring frequently, another 8-10 minutes. Add pears, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon stick and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and turmeric powder and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer until all of the ingredients are very tender, about 20 minutes. Turn the heat off, set the pot aside and let the soup cool down slightly. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- With an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until velvety smooth.
- Transfer soup back to the pot. Add grated cheese, cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Try the soup and add salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve topped with Pecan Pie granola, roasted pear slices, pecans, salted pretzel sticks and fresh herbs.